Sunday, April 11, 2010

FYI

Inside

I'm not your bright skinned pet,
Not your red-boned mistress,
I'm not yours,
I'm mine.

I get to determine my value and worth.
I will not be boiled down, reduced to skin
Not colored skin on my face; not curvy skin on my ass.
I live beneath it all.

I am multi-ethnic as much as I am multi-faceted.
I don't like collard greens and grape drink.
I could care less about caviar and Perrier.
I eat Nori, Fried Chicken, and Pepper Pot.

I am musically diverse and I listen to what I like.
Yes, I own country artists' albums.
Lupe and Dre spin round my way too.
None of it defines me; it all contributes to me.

I stretch beyond my own walls and ask in multiple languages:
Comment ca va?
Como esta?
Kumusta ka?

So I will just ask one thing from you.
Put on a blindfold,
Just listen with your heart,
Not your eyes.

Copyright © 2010 Natasha Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment