Friday, September 3, 2010

Way Back When

When I was a new poet,
I was a poet and didn’t know it.
It’s not that the words didn’t come from my heart,
I just look back now and see I had a rough start.

When I was a black poet,
I was proud and let everyone know it!
I wrote in slang with one fist in the air,
I was abrasive and took on every glare.

When I was a female poet,
I wrote in pheromones and boy did all the men know it!
It was like the words dripped from my hips,
And I had honey suckled seductive lips.

When I was a bright skinned poet,
My skin tone didn’t define me and I let everyone know it!
The color of my skin was just a peek
At who I was; strong, yet meek.

But now, I have evolved into THAT poet!
The poet you know as Mistress Gem or RzrTonguedPoet.
The one that smiles with a soft voice, while ripping a subject to shreds.
I am the evolving poet turning heads.


I am THAT poet.
The one that is humble,
Yet knows her worth;
And doesn’t mind her bare toes touching the earth.

I am THAT poet.
That still uses strong verbage and voice.
From time to time I take a revolutionary stand,
And try to educate; get others to understand.

All in all this is just another piece.
For whomever to hear while passing by on the streets.
Because whether you really hear me or not,
You took my words in, and I gave you what you got!

Copyright ©2010 Natasha Guy

3 comments: