Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More new stuff!

My Excuses
I’m mixed.
My father was black.
My mother is white.
I am the shade of gray
That I am.

I was an only child
Raised by a single mom
Until I became
The stepdaughter
That I am

I was an A student.
I hid in my studies
And pretended to be
A false portrayal of the person
That I am.

I was a victim of abuse.
Whatever people conclude from that
Rarely projects the image
Of the present aware being
That I am.

I was a fat kid.
I’m still a fat adult.
Folks call it fluffy, thick, chubby.
I call it fat and I know
That I am.

I was an unwed mother
Who became a married mother
Who became a divorced mother.
At this point, I’m happy
That I am.

I am disabled.
The tumor in my brain
Creates havoc that kills some.
I’m still living and glad
That I am.

Above all, I still worship
A God whose name is above all others
And He has always told me,
“No matter who you need, I am
THAT I am.”

So all of this
And none of this
Is exactly why
I am the way
That I am.

Copyright © 2010 Natasha Guy

6 comments:

  1. I applaud your courage for writing this piece. I love it. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing pieces of you through your poetry.
    Janette/MahoghanyPoet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reading and commenting <3 I always try to write from the heart or leave it in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honesty and humility are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tim! Good to "see" ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm late, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete