Thursday, October 13, 2011

Yup, I'm back!

When I Went Away

Some thought I was pushed,
Others figured that I fell.
Only those who know me
Knew I jumped into hell.

I wasn’t on some redemption journey
I wasn’t even sure I was ever returning.
All I knew was that I had to go
Had to chase that rabbit through
 the burning hole.

I played with fire and got burned real well
I fought the pain and ignored the smell
Of burning flesh and muscle the same
It all disappeared when I heard my name.

I had always said, “Don’t play with me.
Give me all or nothing for eternity.”
Turns out your version was shorter than mine
I guess you’re a cat who has nine lives.

Something I’ve learned throughout the years
Was not to waste unwanted tears
On ambiguous words that folks take lightly
Like love, forever, yours, always, and almighty.

Don’t think this is a woe-is-me kind of verse
I’m just letting you know while I grab my purse
That I’m leaving under volition that’s mine
Cuz I’ve already given away too much time.

It was never about who was right or wrong
I just didn’t know the fat lady was singing our song.
So I leave among the flames shattered pieces,
Guess I forgot to remind you that I am a phoenix.


Copyright © 2011 Natasha Guy

2 comments: