Monday, April 14, 2014

It Is National Poetry Month After All

BREAKING DOWN

The pieces resulting from broken
Promises that I made to the mirror
Now serve as the bloody sacrifices that
Fuel the fire preventing me from
Committing necrophilia as I struggle to remember
How to love again.

Love me.
Love you.
Love us.
Separately.
Again.

Slowly, like the smoke rising from dancing flames,
Your remnants have intertwined their scents within
My locs, my speech, and even my heart that now has
Trouble with the grueling feat of producing beats so that
I can love again.

Love me.
Love you.
Love us.
Separately.
Again.

The extraction process is long and
Hard like your body was, like my
Resolve to show you love was.
Now I'm deconstructing a foundation meant to survive
Earthquakes and soul shakes because I had a
Chance to love again.

Love me.
Love you.
Love us.
Now separate.
Again.

Copyright © 2014 Natasha Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment