Sunday, August 8, 2010

My Steady Lover
At every turn in my life
You are there to cradle me.
When I get mad and fight,
You patiently wait for my anger to subside.
You know every nook and cranny
Of my spirit and soul.

In some way or another,
You’ve been there since the beginning.
I’ve impatiently begged you to speed.
I’ve even been subjected to your constant  pace.
You neither sped up nor slowed down.
You have always been exactly who you are.

I’ve intertwined my limbs with yours.
Your arms have yet to fail me.
When tears run like rivers down my cheeks,
You lay my head in your lap for comfort.
You never made a promise that’s been broken.
Every day I’ve truly awakened has been with you.

We have that immortal bond, you and I.
It passes the ages, emotions and miles.
You are never more than a blink away.
Only a love felt so deep, like ours,
Can waiver on that line of love and hate.
Always strong, on whichever side it lands.

I’ve never been without a dance partner.
I never had to stare at an empty bed.
I could be lost in the Sahara
And still, your being would envelop me.
I’ve heard tales of a love like ours,
This one that even the movies envy.

So this is an ode to the only one
Who has always asked to dance with me.
Even when I want to sit this one out,
My lover supports my weight and pulls
On me to stand for yet another twirl with
A boy named Change.

Copyright © 2010 Natasha Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment